AOB’s Questionable GLP Acquisition.

Notice

In the past AOB has issued public statements regarding reports published by asensio.com. In the event that asensio.com receives comments from AOB on the report below, asensio.com will provide such comments to its users, and state whether the company’s comments alter any conclusion or assertion in the report. Investors may also contact AOB concerning issues raised in this report.

On April 18, 2006, American Oriental Bioengineering, Inc. (NYSE: AOB) completed the acquisition of a privately-held Chinese company called Guangxi Lingfeng Pharmaceutical Company Limited (“GLP”). AOB paid approximately $24.5 million for GLP, comprised of $18.9 million in cash and $5.6 million in stock, according to AOB’s 2006 10-K.

AOB’s Form 8-K dated June 30, 2006 shows that AOB acquired GLP from an individual, Yu Xiaosheng, who owned 100% of the company. Xiaosheng is shown owning 29% of GLP at December 31, 2005, but then acquired the other 71% in February 2006 for $707,554, according to the 8-K.

Two months later Yu Xiaosheng sold his GLP shares to AOB for $24.5 million.

Based upon AOB’s filing it appears that Xiaosheng “flipped” the newly-acquired 71% of GLP to AOB for approximately $17.4 million, over 24 times his cost just two months later. AOB’s SEC filings do not appear to provide any explanation for this transaction.

Filings with the China State Administration for Industry and Commerce (“SAIC”) show that Xiaosheng appears to have been a significant stakeholder in AOB’s operating company, Harbin Three Happiness Bioengineering Co., Ltd., prior to its reverse merger with a U.S. shell in 2002.

The attached document shows that 25% of Harbin Three Happiness was acquired by Harbin Xiaosheng Advertising Company (see translation). AOB’s 8-K filed June 30, 2006 states that Harbin Xiaosheng Advertising is owned by Yu Xiaosheng.

Despite the Chinese filing showing Xiaosheng Advertising’s 25% stake in Harbin Three Happiness, neither Xiaosheng Advertising nor Yu Xiaosheng appears as a shareholder in AOB’s reverse merger.

Posted in American Oriental Bioengineering, Inc.

Manuel Asensio doesn’t bet often. But when he does, it’s wise to pay attention.

Paul Kaihla
eCompany Now
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
About Our Founder
Learn more about asensio.com's founder, Manuel P. Asensio, and the website's origins. Click here to be directed to Mr. Asensio’s professional biography.
Media Record
Click here to see selected articles that discuss asensio.com's work and its unique legacy. asensio.com also strives to maintain a complete record of articles dealing with the companies that are the subject of asensio.com research.
Investment Record
Click here to view a list of the companies that have been subjects of asensio.com reporting and click here to see the complete investment record.
Asensio and FINRA
Asensio & Company, Inc. and Manuel P. Asensio are the only dedicated short sellers ever to have been members of FINRA. This unique-minority membership created complications in the regulatory relationship. Being the first activist short investors and among the first FINRA member firms with a website added to the complexity. A statement by Mr. Asensio is available here. Information necessary to obtain a meaningful understanding of the dispute is available in complete form HERE.